The Quincy Kroc Center’s aquatics department, complete with certified American Red Cross Certified lifeguards, is dedicated to providing top-quality classes and training. In addition to the facility being Infant Swim of America certified, our trained instructors are able to teach swim lessons to all ages and abilities.
Stop by The Kroc Center for a complete schedule of drop-in activities, or view the current class schedule.
Aquatics Specialist | 217-231-5676
Any class or activity is subject to cancellation at our discretion if minimum participation levels are not met.
The Kroc Aquatic Center features 86º water, lap lanes, current river, zero-entry, sprays, and fountains. The crown jewel of the Aquatics Center is the three story tall Big Red Slide. Hours of operation vary from season to season. Click here for Aquatic Center hours.
The lap lanes are 17.1 yards by 14 feet. The shallow end of the lanes is 3′ 6″ feet deep and the deep end of the lanes is 6 feet deep.
Pool Features & Big Red Slide
The Aquatic Center offers has a current river, a three story tall waterslide, whirlpool, zero-entry area, and sprayers and fountains.
Our Big Red Slide is for those 48” or taller and under 300 lbs. Lifeguards will measure all riders.
Water temperature is approximately 86º.
Cabanas + Locker Rooms
There are 10 co-ed cabanas for adults 18+ and parents/guardians with children. Handicap stalls are available in two of the rooms.
Men’s and women’s locker rooms include individual shower stalls, toilet stalls, and sinks.
Class levels are frequently repeated to allow students to master skills and feel successful before moving on to a new level. Patience is the key to learning how to swim.
Participants must be picked up immediately following class.
You MUST register for swim lessons 5 days prior to class start date or a $10 late fee will be applied to your registration fee.
We accept late registrations until the first scheduled day of class as space allows. No registrations accepted after classes begin.
Any class not meeting the minimum number of participants may be canceled. Refunds/transfers will be made at our Control Desk upon approval from the Aquatics Specialist within the first week of the session.
Did you know The Kroc Center is the area’s only certified Rescue Swim Facility!
Group Swim Lessons
Gold $33, Silver $38.50, Non Member $55
The Kroc Center’s swim lesson program helps children learn the fundamentals of swimming and water safety through the teaching and assessment of critical water skills.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR SWIM LESSONS
• Evaluate your child’s swim ability and choose a class level, date, and time from the listing below.
• On lesson day, check-in at The Control Desk, and then make your way to the aquatics/lifeguard station on the lower lever. Check-in with the team member in the station. Don’t forget to bring a towel.
• At the end of the swim lessons sessions, your instructor will recommend the appropriate class level for the next set of lessons. Class levels are frequently repeated to allow students to master skills and feel successful before moving on to the next level.
TADPOLES (12-23 months)
Introduces self rescue techniques, along with games that
focus on water comfort and basic swim skills.
Parent or caregiver accompanies child in class.
FROGS (24 months-3 Years)
Participants are introduced to self rescue skills, swim strokes,
and water safety techniques.
Parent or caregiver accompanies child in class.
KROCODILES (4-6 Years) | ALLIGATORS (7-11 Years)
Introduces beginning swimmers to the water in a fun setting. Children learn floating and water safety through play and creative repetition and take instruction from an instructor. No swim experience required.
• Suitable for kids who can attend class independently (parents are not present in this class).
• Goggles optional
LOBSTERS (4-6 Years) | OTTERS (7-11 Years)
Continue to work on balance in the water through stroke development and water safety skills, working to become an independent swimmer.
Suitable for kids who can
• swim with their face in the water;
• float on front and back with no assistance.
• Goggles optional
Private Swim Lessons
SELF RESCUE • SKILL DEVELOPMENT • ENDURANCE
Private lessons need to be scheduled with our Aquatics Specialist Nanette Johnson which can be reached at 217-231-5676. Payment for lessons can be made at The Control Desk.
Instructors teach infant swim recovery techniques to help reduce and help prevent accidental drowning.
• One participant
• Six 15 minute lessons
1 Participant $84 (Member) $105 (Non-member)
2 Participants $104 (Member) $130 (Non-member)
Private or semi-private swim lessons are available for participants of any ability, for water therapy and learning.
• Up to two participants
• Eight 30 minute lessons
Become a Lifeguard!
Looking for a fun job where you can make a difference? The Kroc Center is always looking for adults and students ages 16 and older to work as lifeguards in our Aquatics Center. Click here to see all current Kroc Center job postings.
Not certified as a lifeguard yet? No problem – training is provided! See below to check the next available training sessions, and contact Aquatics Specialist Nanette Johnson for more information.
STEP 1 – Lifeguard Pre-Course Swim Test
Lifeguard candidates must successfully complete the pre-course swim skill test prior to registering for the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course.
Call our aquatics specialist at 217-231-5676 to schedule your testing day/time.
PRE-COURSE SKILL TEST
• Swim 300 yards continuous swim, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
STEP 2 – American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
The American Red Cross lifeguard training and certification are imperative to the process of getting hired on as an official Red Cross lifeguard. Our detailed training includes both testing of hands-on skills as well as comprehension on written tests. The certification, which includes first aid, CPR, and AED training, is valid for two years upon completion and is accepted nationwide. The American Red Cross is the most respected source for training and certification of this kind.
• Participants must be 15 years old by the end of the certification class.
• Participants MUST complete the pre-course swimming skills test prior to registration of the American Red Cross Certification Course.
A convenient alternative to child watch*
Children of Members, ages 8–11, are allowed to enjoy the Aquatic Center while their parent or guardian exercises in another area of the building. Check in at The Control Desk is required.
*Member parent/guardian MUST remain in the building during this time.
Closed for the Season.
See you in 2022!